Maestría en Lingüística y Bilingüismo
Universidad Nacional de Colombia, Bogotá D.C.
En esta página se llevará un registro detallado del desarrollo del proyecto.
domingo, 29 de julio de 2012
DOCUMENTOS COMPARTIDOS - COL - NZ
En este espacio dejaré registro de la información compartida entre los dos grupos.
We successfully logged on to wikispaces today and my students did the following: Read their partner's text Copied their own first text and pasted under their original with highlighted parts and then made their changes Submitted their 2nd text which was 'me gusta' etc with a few questions - we will go back to the computers on Friday to complete these as not all students finished. Something observations/reflections: When the students highlight the errors, not all of my children knew what the error was, so I needed to do an impromptu lesson to teach them their error. The common mistake they were making was: mi favorito color es violeta, amarillo, azul y verde. So I had to teach them how to pluralise this sentence and put 'favorito' after color. I hope they understand now! I think it will be really beneficial when your students can explain the error, as I felt like I needed to go back and re-teach some of these skills so they could accurately correct their mistakes. I didn't teach this in the first place, and I wasn't expecting them to have multiple favourite colours! Many of them will still have errors in their re-written texts...
We talked as a class about a common sentence we found in your students' texts which was 'in my family is my mother, my father..' etc. In New Zealand we understand this perfectly well, but it would be more natural to say "My family members are..." or "my family includes my mother..." or "In my family there is my mother...". Likewise, my students want to say the sentence 'I am a year 7 student in room 22 for 2012' and they were alarmed when their attempts came back with lots of yellow! I didn't teach them to say this so they made it up using what they knew, but I think they'd love to know how to express this properly? They have been saying things like "soy estudiante de 7 anos en habitación 22 para dos mil doce", I'm not entirely sure how to word this myself! You help with this would be great Dora! My students felt very worried about all of their mistakes and I caught a few using google translate to say sentences correctly. I told them they weren't to do this as it doesn't reflect their true ability. It will be something to monitor but it's hard to make this restriction!
Overall, they really enjoyed the exercise despite it being stressful for me as I had them all asking me how to re-write so it was perfect and to help their buddy - I think the more we do this, the more independent they will be - the whole exercise took over an hour!
Wikispaces seems to be a great way to do these interactions. It will be great to embed videos (some of my students have entered a Spanish speech competition and they really want to share it with their buddy!) and pictures, so the students can have something extra to look at and use a springboard to have a 'discussion'. Many of my students so far just skim what their buddy reads and forget to answer their questions. I think once they can send a photo of their family/house etc they will be more motivated to ask meaningful questions, something to look forward to once we get more practice with wikispaces and knowing where to put their texts etc. Next week I was planning on teaching my students how to write about physical descriptions of their family and themselves (tengo ojos azules) etc. How does this sound to you Dora?
Please go in to wikispaces and let me know if you think we've done our job adequately, Knowing where to put what was a bit of a challenge but I think we got there in the end!
Respuesta de la Coordinadora Hola Megan, Thank you for this awesome work with your students. This is a big learning curve to all. I hope you are amazed of the learning that real interaction triggers. I'd like to clarify -and apologies if I was not clear-: your students were to identify their buddies' mistakes this week. The correction of their own texts was scheduled for next week. That would give you and them time to go over their mistakes during class in a form that gives you more control over that process (as opposed to going from computer to computer helping individuals). It's very important that your students do not feel that making mistakes is "bad". This should be a formative experience and they will see their amazing improvement over the two terms. Please don't hesitate to ask for support if you need it; however, we don't want the project to dictate over your teaching priorities. So, please don't feel that you need to teach "all possible forms" in anticipation to the next texts. About uploading other types of files, remember that we'd like the writing to come into a rhythm before moving on to speaking. Having said that, I think a picture would be great. However, there are storage space caps in Wikispaces that we may need to be mindful of. Gracias por todo esto y por compartir. This is very exciting. Constanza
Hola Dora,
ResponderEliminarWe successfully logged on to wikispaces today and my students did the following:
Read their partner's text
Copied their own first text and pasted under their original with highlighted parts and then made their changes
Submitted their 2nd text which was 'me gusta' etc with a few questions - we will go back to the computers on Friday to complete these as not all students finished.
Something observations/reflections:
When the students highlight the errors, not all of my children knew what the error was, so I needed to do an impromptu lesson to teach them their error. The common mistake they were making was: mi favorito color es violeta, amarillo, azul y verde. So I had to teach them how to pluralise this sentence and put 'favorito' after color. I hope they understand now! I think it will be really beneficial when your students can explain the error, as I felt like I needed to go back and re-teach some of these skills so they could accurately correct their mistakes. I didn't teach this in the first place, and I wasn't expecting them to have multiple favourite colours! Many of them will still have errors in their re-written texts...
We talked as a class about a common sentence we found in your students' texts which was 'in my family is my mother, my father..' etc. In New Zealand we understand this perfectly well, but it would be more natural to say "My family members are..." or "my family includes my mother..." or "In my family there is my mother...". Likewise, my students want to say the sentence 'I am a year 7 student in room 22 for 2012' and they were alarmed when their attempts came back with lots of yellow! I didn't teach them to say this so they made it up using what they knew, but I think they'd love to know how to express this properly? They have been saying things like "soy estudiante de 7 anos en habitación 22 para dos mil doce", I'm not entirely sure how to word this myself! You help with this would be great Dora!
My students felt very worried about all of their mistakes and I caught a few using google translate to say sentences correctly. I told them they weren't to do this as it doesn't reflect their true ability. It will be something to monitor but it's hard to make this restriction!
Overall, they really enjoyed the exercise despite it being stressful for me as I had them all asking me how to re-write so it was perfect and to help their buddy - I think the more we do this, the more independent they will be - the whole exercise took over an hour!
Wikispaces seems to be a great way to do these interactions. It will be great to embed videos (some of my students have entered a Spanish speech competition and they really want to share it with their buddy!) and pictures, so the students can have something extra to look at and use a springboard to have a 'discussion'. Many of my students so far just skim what their buddy reads and forget to answer their questions. I think once they can send a photo of their family/house etc they will be more motivated to ask meaningful questions, something to look forward to once we get more practice with wikispaces and knowing where to put their texts etc.
Next week I was planning on teaching my students how to write about physical descriptions of their family and themselves (tengo ojos azules) etc. How does this sound to you Dora?
Please go in to wikispaces and let me know if you think we've done our job adequately, Knowing where to put what was a bit of a challenge but I think we got there in the end!
El documento anterior es la reflexión que hace la profesora de NZ al revisar los textos, en inglés, que escribieron los niños de Colombia.
ResponderEliminarRespuesta de la Coordinadora
ResponderEliminarHola Megan,
Thank you for this awesome work with your students. This is a big learning curve to all. I hope you are amazed of the learning that real interaction triggers.
I'd like to clarify -and apologies if I was not clear-: your students were to identify their buddies' mistakes this week. The correction of their own texts was scheduled for next week. That would give you and them time to go over their mistakes during class in a form that gives you more control over that process (as opposed to going from computer to computer helping individuals).
It's very important that your students do not feel that making mistakes is "bad". This should be a formative experience and they will see their amazing improvement over the two terms.
Please don't hesitate to ask for support if you need it; however, we don't want the project to dictate over your teaching priorities. So, please don't feel that you need to teach "all possible forms" in anticipation to the next texts.
About uploading other types of files, remember that we'd like the writing to come into a rhythm before moving on to speaking. Having said that, I think a picture would be great. However, there are storage space caps in Wikispaces that we may need to be mindful of.
Gracias por todo esto y por compartir.
This is very exciting.
Constanza